Sunday, July 18, 2021

How Many Points Should a Good Sermon Have?

 

On a Sunday night during my seminary years, we would pack into the old van of a classmate and head off for a visit at the home of a professor.  This particular night, it was a trip to visit with Dr. George Buttrick, visiting professor at our seminary.  This noted scholar and preacher, former pastor at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church in New York City, and later a Harvard professor, graciously welcomed us into his home.  I do not remember much about the visit except that I was in awe of being in the presence of such a notable person.

We sat in his living room and fired a barrage of questions at him, only one of which I recall: “Dr. Buttrick, how many points should a good sermon have?”

Without a moment’s hesitation he answered: “Methinks at least one!”

While that might have seemed a disappointment to those of us who were expecting a dissertation, this nugget of wisdom has stuck with me through a half century now.  This was reinforced some time ago when one faithful member of a church I had pastored for eleven years observed, “Dennis, all your sermons really had only one point, ‘inclusion’.”

“Well,” I answered, “if there is only one point I could hope my congregation might have learned, it is that God’s love includes everyone!”

I do not preach much anymore, but when I do I remember Buttrick’s answer to that question and try to have at least one clear point or theme the congregation can take away.  As I look back and re-read some of my old sermons, I must confess they are more like one friend described as a “Texas Longhorn sermon.”

 “And just what is that?” I asked my friend.

“A point here and a point there and a lot of bull in between.” 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment