Monday, June 13, 2011

Balcony Person Delcares Vacation!

Summer’s here.  The tomatoes are on the vine and a few of them that survived the deer and the blight have been harvested!  Ever eaten a $200 (approximate cost of growing your own) tomato?  It tastes much like the ones for 99 cents per pound at the Farmer’s Market.
I’ve decided it’s time for vacation even though my vacation won’t officially start for another two weeks.  My mind vacated about the time the thermometer hit 97 a couple weeks ago.  My trips outside, even in the heat, have become more prolonged as I watch the sky and the formation of the clouds, listening for thunder and rain so I don’t have to mow the grass!
Even the work as chaplain at the hospital has slowed a bit it seems.  Who wants to go to the hospital for elective surgery (or any surgery for that matter) when the skies are blue and lake is beckoning?  I am still helping out at the hospice when needed, but even the pace there seems slower.
And I must confess that I am tempted to miss a couple Sundays at Church as June progresses.  I can’t wait to see my children and grandchildren and enjoy our annual beach trip. That’s something I’ve been anxiously awaiting since the snow was on the ground.
So I am announcing that the balcony person is officially on vacation! There won’t be any posts for a while.  I’ll be back, so all the faithful followers out there (both of you), please don’t be disappointed!  But when I return to this sometime in the later part of the summer, I may have to change the name because beginning July 5, I shall no longer be a balcony person for a while.  I’ve gone the way of so many “young” retired ministers and accepted an interim position as pastor in a town near Raleigh.
So stay tuned.  And let me know if I should change the name of this blog from balcony person to something else (Recycled Minister? Pulpit Person? Back Sliding Balcony Person?) As for now, let’s all enjoy a change of pace and call it summer vacation.



2 comments:

  1. Hey brother! .....sorry to tell you but you are going to miss retirement! It happens to all of us....have to go back to work some following a few months past retirement...takes about twelve months working again to figure out retirement is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss your posts. They are always enjoyable and thoughtful. Enjoy your vacation! Maybe Adjunct Balcony Person?

    ReplyDelete